Wednesday 8 October 2014

Bike Thoughts

There's an organic unity between biking and freedom.

If you haven't set out on an aimless bike ride through your city, I strongly suggest it. Last Saturday, with no destination in mind, I found myself riding along the river, through trails I never knew existed. For the first time in a long time I felt completely free. Free of over thinking, of anxiety and of worrying in general. Instead, I was in a positive state of mind. My time was simple and full of happy thoughts.

I made it my mission after that to do some soul searching, not only when I'm riding my bike. I'd like to ascertain who I am this year, and what I need to do to remain as happy as I felt during that blissful bike ride.

There's a few things on my mental to do list now. To figure out how to be more independent and to make my own happiness, rather than rely on someone else to do it for me. I'd like to be more accepting of doing nothing, and appreciating alone time with my mind. I want to be proud of my writing as I tend to shy away from displaying my work for others to read. I haven't got the slightest idea of want to do with my life, and I can't seem to find an acceptable career path to get excited over. The only constant I know, is that writing is going to be a big part of my life, whether it be success in this blog, writing a book or simply keeping a journal.

I like the freedom writing grants me, and the knowledge that I can do this wherever I go in life. I want to live wildly and all over the place. No roots, just me, my writing and maybe a companion to share these experiences. There's so much of the world to see and I'm not ready to settle down in one place. My travel thoughts lately have taken me to road trips. Buying a van, decking it out with bumper stickers and tapestries. Riding with the windows down, basking in the sun and listening to music that makes me feel. This trip would entail camping, national parks, rocky mountains and green trees. If I close my eyes I can feel the wind, the sun and almost hear the gravel crunching under tires... Exactly like that simple Saturday bike ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fly

The only way to get through it all is to keep moving. Throw on some Janis Joplin, dance around your living room and throw yourself into yo...