Wednesday 15 January 2014

Pulling Away

Today I need to take the time, to try to explain (maybe just to myself) what I'd like to do with my life. Going into the year 2014, it's a good time to re-evaluate my wants and needs, and reconnect with myself to put my dreams into realities.

One thing is for sure, I know I want to help others and create smiles everywhere that I go. I want to be outdoors most days, and I want to be filled with stories of adventures and experiences. I know I need a job that allows me all those things but, being 21, I am part of the "screwed generation". The generation of dreamers and believers, but the generation that has those very dreams crushed by reality. They say the 19-30 year old's right now, or the generation-Y, the Yuppie generation... whatever you want to call it, is the "screwed generation" because we've been told we can grow up to be/do whatever we want but in reality that is not the case. This in turn causes us to be unhappy.

We go to school for 4+ years to get a degree that typically won't get you the job you think you deserve. We have to settle for jobs "beneath" our potential, to put the time in for the job we truly desire.The job market is really competitive and tough, and we are put to work the mindless, boring duties for too long. We are told we need to start at the bottom, but this means we are struggling to make a living for too long. Society is pressuring us to go to school, get a good job, buy a house, get married and have kids. This is the life we are told we "want".

Well what if I don't want that order of life? I'm going to school right now, but after I graduate I want to strive to attain the job I always dreamed of (even if it means working my way up). I don't want to have to worry about a house and kids while I'm attempting to develop my career. Would it be so bad to put that on hold and just live my own life? I'd like to believe that more and more people are pulling away from the social norm, and pushing for a more exciting, fulfilling life. Before I settle down (if I ever settle down), I want to hike Machu Picchu, visit a jungle tribe in Thailand, scuba dive in the Philippines, maybe write a book while I practice yoga in Bali, rock climb in Colorado and hopefully get around to learning how to golf.

The world is an amazing place and I plan to explore every inch I possibly can. I really don't want a life that stands still, and everyday I dream up more possibilities. This year I'm going to think a lot about the future, and maybe take the necessary steps towards making my dreams realities. Who's going to join me?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fly

The only way to get through it all is to keep moving. Throw on some Janis Joplin, dance around your living room and throw yourself into yo...